The Labyrinth Park Barcelona or Parque del Laberinto de Horta has its origins back in 1791. This makes it one of the most historical gardens in the Catalan capital and the oldest of its kind in the city. Located in the Horta-Guinardó district, it sits on the edge of the Serra de Collserola Natural Park.
The Marquis of Llupià i Alfarràs dedicated a plot of land on his estate to create a neoclassical garden. With Italian architect Domenico Bagutti and French gardener Josep Devalet on board the first part of the garden was built.
In the 1850’s the next generation of the Desvalls family expanded the garden. Local boy Elies Rogent added gazebos, flower beds and even a waterfall. A small canal was also built to connect the upper and middle terraces. The neoclassical garden comprises three terraces:
On the lower terrace is the hedge maze that gives the park its name, made up of 750 metres of trimmed cypress trees and if you reach the centre there is a statue of the god Eros.
On the middle terrace, above the maze, there are two Italian-style pavilions with Tuscan columns. Next to the great staircase that leads to the third level, there is a bust of Dionysus, the greek god of wine and exuberance!
On the third and highest terrace there is a pavilion dedicated to the nine muses. There is a beautiful pond behind the pavilion with water coming from a natural spring close by. At the far side of the water lies a grotto adding to the mystic of this level.
The Labyrinth Park Barcelona became on of the ‘in’ places, holding many social and cultural events. The park has hosted Spain’s sovereign on three occasions.
The park was given to the city in 1967 and was opened to the public four years later. There was a huge restoration in 1994 and the 55 hectare site is now open all year around for everyone to enjoy. It is popular with locals who want to paint, take photographs or sit in quite contemplation!
Not the easiest place to get to, we recommend you take line 3 on the metro to Mundet and a walk up to the park. Check out the Olympic Velodrome which is right next door.
The park is open everyday. In the summer, April 1 to October 31, from 10.00 until 20.00. In winter, December 1 to March 31, the hours change to 10.00 until 19.00. In November the park is generally closed for maintenance. The general entrance fee is a odd €2.23 with reductions for children, but Wednesday and Sunday this massive entrance charge is dropped and the park is free!